In the course of carrying out a building condition assessment at the Celtic Club building on the corner of Queen and La Trobe streets, a small fragment of Melbourne’s past has been discovered. A metal plate affixed to the façade was removed revealing part of a ‘ghost sign’ (that is, the remnants of a painted sign) for the former West Bourke Club Hotel.

 


The West Bourke Club Hotel was built in 1876, and replaced an earlier hotel building on the site. Originally two storeys, a third level was introduced in the 1920s to match. The building was converted to the home of the Celtic Club in the late 1950s.

Also revealed were hints of the original colour scheme, with evidence of terracotta, cream and grey coloured skim coats to various façade elements.

DATE
08 February 2018
SHARE

Related Posts

15 November 2017

Two New Homes

RBA is excited to announce the much anticipated completion of two residential projects! Both projects involved contemporary additions to Victorian era houses to create beautiful…

22 December 2016

Secretariat Building, Yangon

At the invitation of Myanmar Heritage Preservation Limited (MHP), RBA Director and Deputy Chair of AusHeritage, Roger Beeston, travelled to Myanmar (Burma) in October and November…

13 December 2017

South African Soldiers’ Memorial

RBA have been appointed to monitor the dismantling and conservation of the South African Soldiers’ Memorial on St Kilda Road, which is being temporarily removed…

04 July 2016

Mallee Stations

Conservation works were completed in December 2015 as part of the VicTrack 2014/15 Heritage Program at four heritage listed Railway Stations in the Mallee region: Kaniva,…